Recent Photos of the Old Place


The sign out front is new, but the rest of the place looks pretty much the same.


The Bridge. Which side did you live on? I crossed the bridge four times every day (remember walking home for lunch?) but it wasn't this one. This is the 3rd bridge to occupy this spot during my lifetime. If I live long enough, maybe I'll see one or two more!


How many cold winter days did we wait outside this door, waiting for the bell to ring?


The Main Office. "You just wait right here, young man. I know the principal will want to have a long talk with you about your behavior."


If you are old enough, you'll remember this as the entrance to the bike room. In later years it was converted into the Industrial Arts shop for Mr. Gurley.


Tay House still sits on the little hill behind the school, and it is still the meeting place for Boy Scout Troop 19. They held the annual Tay House Carnival as a fundraiser. I belonged to a different troop (116) which was affiliated with Tay House in the "Highlanders." By the way, our scoutmaster Harmon Strong is still going strong at age 92, I bumped into him the other day.

3 comments:

Orrin Terry said...

I swear we used to go sledding on that hill just below the Tay House. It doesn't look like much of a hill now. Maybe the sledding area was farther over to the left. These pics look like they're very early spring or late fall so without snow it's hard to tell.

Ezra said...

We used to sled on both that little pimple in front of Tay House and also to the area farther to the left. And the truly brave would take their sleds up into the woods and sled down the trail from above Tay House. Not me, though.

Evan Meltzer said...

Does anyone remember the Tay House fire? I was a scout with Troop 19 and we held our Monday night meetings in the #1 School gym while "The Cabin" was being rebuilt. This Blog brings back many old memories.